Prevention and remedies for sore throat
Considering the levels of pollution in the metro cities these days, all of us have become sitting ducks for sore throats in India. It is not restricted to winters but occurs during any time of the year. Sore throats cause a lot of problems to all, especially to teachers who have to talk a lot. Various preventive and remedial methods have been passed over the generations. The aim of this article is to take a look at some of the most effective remedies and cures, as well as take a look at some preventive methods.
Prevention from sore throat
- Consuming very cold liquids in winter and frequent consumption of ice cream
- Not covering the face while living or crossing areas full of smoke and pollution
- Constant shouting
- Different kinds of allergies
- Drink ginger tea- Ginger tea can be prepared by adding a one-inch long piece of ginger into the water and boiling it for two to three minutes, after which tea can be prepared as per the usual method.
- Chamomile tea- This tea is helpful in getting rid of throat inflammations. Two tea bags need to be dipped in one cup of boiling water. Honey can also be added for sweetness.
- Gargle- Gargle 1 glass of water mixed with salt and turmeric. It helps clear the throat of a cough and other kinds of infection. Ideally, it should be done twice a day. Do not make the mixture too hot, or you may damage your throat.
- Inhale essential oils- You can inhale the fragrances of essential oils at home. These include sandalwood, lavender, thyme, eucalyptus or any other.
- Tulsi in water- Tulsi is known to have several antiseptic properties. You can boil tulsi or basil leaves in water and then drink the same while warm.
- Warm water with honey and lemon juice- Prepare a cup of warm water which has lemon juice and honey. It is a highly effective remedy for sore throats.
- Hard candy- Hard candy is capable of soothing the throat by maintaining moisture levels. However, do not give it to small children, as it can become a choking hazard.
- Honey and Apple cider vinegar- 1 tablespoon of honey and apple cider vinegar can be added to warm water. Once mixed well, drink it to provide relief to the troubled throat.
- Inhale steam- When water is heated beyond boiling point, it produces steam. Heat a medium size of the vessel and let it produce steam. Cover your head with a towel and inhale the steam, with your head just above the vessel. Inhale through the nose and exhale through the mouth.
- Decoction of spices- Grind a teaspoon each of dry ginger, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, black peppercorn and fennel seeds. Mix and simmer the mixture in boiling water for 5 minutes. Drink it while still warm.