Health benefits of fish oil
It’s a well-known fact that fish oil keeps inflammation down and is important for heart’s wellbeing. However, what you may not know is that its ability to aid various health problems such as cholesterol, anxiety, ADHD, cancer, diabetes, inflammation, arthritis, Alzheimer’s disease, eye disorders, macular degeneration and ulcers. Fish oil also helps aid weight loss, skin care, healthy pregnancy and fertility.
The majority of the health advantages of fish oil can be credited to the presence of omega 3 essential fatty acids like Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA).
Health benefits of fish oil include the following:
- Heart health: Clinical trials have demonstrated that omega 3 is successful in decreasing the frequency of cardiovascular illnesses (CVD). Fish oil is an incredible source of omega 3 and consequently, decreases the danger of heart infections and heart arrhythmias. It additionally brings down the level of bad cholesterol (LDL) and increases the level of good cholesterol (HDL). Fish oil is viable in preventing strokes and regular use of fish oil can help avoid sudden deaths due to heart attacks.
- Anti-inflammatory properties: Fish oil is actively effective in reducing inflammation in the blood and tissues. Regular utilisation of fish oil supplements, tablets, pills and capsules are useful for those who have experienced the ill effects of endless chronic inflammatory diseases. Fish oil is effective in treating gastrointestinal disorders, celiac illness, short bowel syndrome and inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) including Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis, which are both common disorders of the intestine.
- Improved immunity: It is trusted that regular utilisation of fish oil helps in boosting your immune system, in this manner empowering you to oppose the occurrence of common diseases like colds, cough and seasonal influenza. Omega-3 unsaturated fats in fish oil support the immune system by affecting the action and measure of cytokines and eicosanoids exhibit in our body.
Photo Courtesy: Ascenta Health
- Arthritis: Fish oil is helpful for the treatment of joint inflammation, arthritis, Raynaud's side effects and comparable conditions. Utilising fish oil can help in decreasing the requirement for huge dosages of NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs). Large quantities of fish oil have shown positive effects on the treatment of arthritis. And in the case of osteoarthritis, fish oil can be helpful in reducing the impact of enzymes that destroy cartilage.
- Depression and anxiety: Fish oil can be useful in mood stabilisation and the treatment of bipolar disorders due to the presence of Omega 3 fatty acids. Fish oil has been promoted for relieving depression, sadness, restlessness, stress, mental fatigue and other nervous disorders.
- Alzheimer’s disease: Researches has shown that fatty acids are effective in treating Alzheimer’s disease. Meanwhile, fish oil is one of the best sources of essential fatty acids, including EPA and DHA, it helps in the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease.
- ADHD or ADD: It is believed that fish oil is useful in the normal development of the brain, along with the advantage of helping your child concentration on studies. Fish oil can treat Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) because to its high concentration of fatty acids. If your child suffers from hyperactivity, dyslexia, dyspraxia, inability to complete a task, poor organisation, short attention span, short-term memory weakness, low concentration, tendency to interrupt others, recklessness, hastiness, impetuosity, impulsiveness, low IQ, or learning disorders, fish oil is a proven remedy.
- Eye disorders: It is well known that fish oil has the ability to improve vision. It also helps in keeping away from age-related macular degeneration.
- Pregnancy: Fish oil is very constructive for pregnant women because the DHA present in it helps in the development of the eyes and brain of the baby. It additionally also helps to avoid premature births, low birth weight, and miscarriages.