Exercises for flat belly
- Jan 20 , 2017 34
Finding an activity that you enjoy and do on a regular basis, such as walking, running or biking is great, as they target specific areas of the belly and tone the muscles and give the area a better definition and shape.
So, here are some simple belly exercises that you can easily do at home and get that flat belly:
- Crunches or sit-ups - This exercise is beneficial for your upper abdomen. Lay on the floor and hold your hands by your ears rather than behind your head to prevent a neck strain. Bend your knees with your feet on the floor. Then lift your shoulders and upper back up and away from the floor with your face pointing toward the ceiling. Exhale as you come up as far as you can, hold for a second, then inhale as you return to the starting position. Repeat 15-25 times.
- Crunch and twist - This exercise works the oblique (also known as love handles). Start with the same position as the above exercise (crunches), but this time raise yourself up slowly then twist your body from the waist (not back and shoulders). Try to touch your left knee with your right elbow, untwist and go to starting position. The next time try the opposite side and touch your right knee with your left elbow. Repeat on each side 10-15 times.
- Front bridge exercise - This exercise is great for strengthening your core muscles and is also good for the back. Suck your belly button and keep your body as straight as possible without locking your knees. Continue to breathe and don’t hold your breath. Hold yourself in this position as long as you can, then rest. Repeat 2-3 times. Gradually extend the time of holding yourself in the position.
- Crunch chop and crunch chop twist - Lie on the floor while your legs are over your hips at 90 degrees and your arms are overhead. Take a deep breath, and when you exhale, lift your head and shoulders off the floor, and as you crunch up, open your legs so your arms chop through your legs. Repeat this movement for 1 minute. When you want to work your obliques, chop each hand through the opposite leg, for example, when you lift your head and shoulders off the floor, chop with right hand through your left leg and alternate between the sides.
- Side plank - Lie on your right side while your legs are extended and your feet and hips resting on the floor on top of each other. Your right elbow should be directly under your shoulder as per the illustration. Then contract your core muscles and lift your hips and knees off the floor. Hold for as long as you can and then return to the starting position. Then do the other side and repeat.
- Leg drop - Lie on the floor while your legs are over your hips at 90 degrees. Slowly lower your legs as low as you can without touching the floor, but make sure not to lift your lower back. Then raise your legs to the starting position. Repeat 10 times.