Benefits of salt water gargle
A salt water mouth rinse is useful for a number of different reasons. It's a great option for anyone who has a sore throat, gum sores or recently underwent dental procedures.
It's actually easy to make a personal salt water-based mouth rinse. Add ½ a teaspoon of salt to a cup of warm water. Rinse your mouth every two to three hours for the first few days, then use it three to four times a day thereafter.
You can use the rinse to:
- Soothe and heal mouth sores.
- Benefit a sore throat caused by strep, tonsillitis or even a common cold.
- Provide emergency dental hygiene in the event you don't have your regular mouthwash or toothpaste handy.
How to gargle:
First of all, prepare a salt water solution by adding a pinch of salt to a cup of warm water. Stand near the wash basin and take a sip of the solution. Now, gradually move your head backwards with the solution inside your mouth. Now try to produce a moaning sound, you will notice that the salt water will begin to start bubbling in your throat. Do it for at least 20 seconds first. You may increase the time if you can manage it. Once you are done with it, spit out the water. Remember not to swallow the water.
Repeat this process until you finish the entire cup. Once you have finished the entire solution, rinse your mouth with plain water. Drink some warm water. This will give a lot of relief to your inflamed throat. To speed up the healing process you need to repeat this at least four to five times a day.
- Neutralises and cleanses: Gargling with salt water not only neutralises the acid but also cleanses the unwanted mucus from the throat.
- Stimulates Circulation: It increases the blood flow to the throat and dilates blood capillaries that speed up the action on the bacteria that cause inflammation.
- Dental Plaque: Gargle also aids in removing plaque in teeth, mouth sores and other minor gum related diseases. The saline water acts on the bacteria and helps to clear the germs out.
- Nasal Congestion: When a sore throat occurs due to allergic conditions or sinus infection, salt water gargling also helps in clearing nasal congestion by acting on the nasal cavity.
- Natural pH: A salt water gargle maintains the natural pH balance which has been disturbed by the bacterial infection.