10 health benefits of cumin seeds
- Feb 03 , 2017 1
Cumin seeds have been used heavily in herbal medicine, and they are loaded with iron and dietary fibre. Cumin seeds offer various health benefits.
- Beneficial for digestion: The active elements in cumin seeds may help digestion and enhance gut mobility by augmenting the emission of gastrointestinal enzymes. The thymol and other essential oils in cumin seeds also help stimulate the salivary glands that help you digest food.
- Effective for diabetes: Cumin seeds decrease high blood glucose levels by expanding the insulin sensitivity and glucose intake by the cells. Cumin seeds help block the formation of Advanced Glycation End products (AGE) typically in most diabetic patients that often lead to complications.
- Lowers cholesterol: Cumin seeds contains a variety of beneficial compounds, like essential fatty acids, polyphenols, and flavonoids. These compounds act as antioxidants, which help to keep cholesterol and triglyceride levels in the healthy range.
- Helps fight symptoms of osteoporosis: Cumin is rich in iron, which is why cumin extract had a similar anti-osteoporotic effect when compared to a drug for menopause called estradiol.
- Boosts immunity: The presence of essential oils, vitamin-C, and vitamin-A and abundance of iron in cumin seeds boosts our immune system in a number of ways as vitamin C is one of the most powerful antioxidants that we have in our body.
- Helps fight cancer: Cumin seeds helps in fighting cancer as it contains an active compound known as cuminaldehyde that helps in retarding the growth of tumours.
- Offers liver protection: Oil derived from black cumin seeds helps fight hepatitis C infection. A study on animals found that black cumin seed oil also prevents liver and kidney damage caused by bybromobenzene, a contaminant sometimes found in food.
- Help treat asthma: Cumin seeds help treat respiratory disorders such as asthma. The essential oils in cumin create an effective anti-congestive medicine that loosens up phlegm and mucus accumulation in the respiratory tract.
- Improves cognitive function: Packed with minerals like riboflavin, zeaxanthin, vitamin B6, niacin and much more, cumin seeds is well known for its ability to maintain and improve cognitive function.
- Helps detox drug addiction: Cumin has detoxifying properties, and accelerates the secretion of detoxifying and anticarcinogenic enzymes from the glands.