Top 10 natural foods to control high blood pressure
- Jan 12 , 2017 5
Hypertension is an unusual condition as it has almost no symptoms. The only way it can be detected on time is to get your blood pressure checked on a regular basis. As per studies, only 1/3rd of people actually know that they suffer from high blood pressure.
But, the following natural foods, which are healthy, natural and nourishing, can bring down the chances of high blood pressure:
- Banana- This fruit is often considered the favourites of athletes as they are low in sodium and sweet. Potassium is an integral component as well, and it helps reduce blood pressure. Bananas can be added to shakes, smoothies, cakes and bread to make them more prevalent in the diet.
- Oatmeal- A diet which has high amounts of fibre and whole grains helps in maintaining low blood pressure, and one such ingredient is oatmeal. It can be made as a hot cereal and can be used in pancakes. Oatmeal flakes are considered as popular breakfast and are available in the form of cookies.
- Spinach- Popeye the sailor’s favourite food item is high in fibre content and packed with nutrients like magnesium, potassium and folate, helpful in lowering and maintaining constant blood pressure levels. Half a cup of cooked spinach is 12 per cent of an adult’s complete calcium intake!
- Avocados- Oleic acid present in avocados are capable of reducing cholesterol and high blood pressure. It also has potassium, foliate and vitamins A, B, E and K.
- Watermelon- Apart from cooling you down on a hot day, watermelon contains amino acid L-citrulline, known to bring down blood pressure. It also has lycopene, fibres, potassium and Vitamin A.
- Sunflower seeds- Keep sunflower seeds unsalted to keep your sodium intake down. Only a few seeds are enough to keep your blood pressure under check. These seeds contain Folic Acid, Vitamin E, fibre and protein.
- Oranges- This all-season favourite food can definitely bring down blood pressure. Choose a glass of juice or whole fruit to load yourself with Vitamin C.
- Carrots- Carrots are high in potassium and beta-carotene, both of which are helpful in bringing down blood pressure.
- Beetroot- This can be consumed in the form of salads. It is rich in nitrates, which relax blood vessels and improve the flow of blood.
- Garlic- Supplementing food with garlic lowers blood pressure significantly. It also brings down LDL cholesterol levels.