This is how you can prevent premature deaths

  • Jan 03 , 2017

Many people can avoid a premature death if they take immediate care of these killer diseases.

  1. Cancer – More than one in three people develops some form of cancer during their lifetime. Although there are more than 200 different types of cancer, lung, breast, prostate and bowel cancer account for more than half of deaths. An unhealthy lifestyle is the root cause of about a third of all cancers. Smoking causes almost all lung cancers. Poor diet has been linked to bowel cancer. And heavy drinking has been implicated in the development of breast cancer. While healthy lifestyle changes can prevent many cases of cancer, screening aims to drive down cancer cases even further. Try and identify cancer at an early stage when it's more treatable. Make sure you know the key symptoms of cancer. Lifestyle changes too can reduce your risk of cancer.
  2. Stroke – It is the third leading cause of death each year and the leading cause of disability. More than 150,000 people have stroke every year and upto 10,000 of these could have been prevented if more people were aware of the symptoms and sought out emergency treatment.High blood pressure is the main cause of stroke. Almost one in three people have high blood pressure and nearly half of them aren't receiving any treatment for the condition. A good way to reduce high blood pressure is to reduce your salt intake.
  3. Lung diseases ‑ Respiratory disease covers a variety of conditions ranging from asthma to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) one of the most common causes of death. COPD is almost completely avoidable. Most cases (around 85 per cent) are caused by smoking. The other 15 per cent of cases are triggered by exposure to fumes, chemicals and dusts at work or, very occasionally, because of a rare genetic tendency to develop COPD called alpha-1-antitrypsin deficiency.
  4. Liver Disease ‑ Liver diseases have increased by 20 per cent over the last decade. The disease develops silently and many people have no idea there's anything wrong until they develop liver failure.The three main causes of liver disease are heavy drinking, obesity and viral hepatitis (inflammation of the liver). More than a third of men and over a quarter of women regularly exceed the recommended level of alcohol intake.

Get tips on how to control drinking. Keep a check on weight and read articles on how to reduce weight. Have a hepatitis B vaccination if you're at risk of infection.