Common myths about Ayurveda
- Feb 04 , 2017 1
Ayurveda works on the principle ‘Prevention is better than cure’. Though medical science has advanced a lot still Ayurveda and its principles hold a strong ground. There are a few myths regarding Ayurveda which needs to be busted.
Some common myths and false beliefs about Ayurveda:-
- Results are slow- we all have heard ‘slow and steady wins the race’. Yes, Ayurveda may be slow but its effects are great because other than destructing the disease, it also takes care of the body tissues. Ayurveda’s result depends on the patient's immunity, a person with a good immunity can see the results of Ayurveda within a few days.
- No science behind Ayurveda- Ayurveda is one of the oldest forms of medical treatment which still have a strong hold. Researches show that Ayurveda believes in positive results. It is a time tested science which was applicable in the past, present and will be applicable in future as well.
- Only for elders-It is wrong to say that Ayurveda is only for elders. Ayurveda works like magic for infants too as it helps infants to build their immunity system. Ayurveda works in the same way for every age group.
- Have no side effects- The best part about Ayurveda is that it has no side effects. Just give it some time and see the changes yourself.
- Ayurveda is herbal- Always remember that ‘ayurveda is herbal’ but all ‘herbal products are not Ayurveda’.
- Self-medication- never take any medicine without doctor’s prescription. Medicine without doctor’s advice is dangerous. Though Ayurveda is a herbal treatment but there may be toxins which may not suit your body which will be harmful to the body.
- Ayurveda is vegetarian- people have false belief that Ayurveda medicines are vegetarian but No! Ayurvedic medicines are made from fish oil and mutton extract.
- Ayurveda aids chronic diseases- Ayurveda not only aids chronic diseases but it is equally effective for acute diseases like fever, cough and cold and much more.