Acupressure points for pain relief
- Jan 19 , 2017 130
Acupressure therapy was developed over 5,000 years ago and is an important aspect of Asian, especially Chinese, medicine. It uses precise finger placement and pressure over specific points along the body. These points follow specific channels, known as meridians – the same channels used in acupuncture.
According to Asian medical philosophy, activation of these points with pressure can improve blood flow, release tension, and enhance or unblock life-energy. It is a form of alternative therapy in which manual pressure is used to stimulate specific points on the body along what are considered to be lines of energy. Acupressure therapy can be used to relieve pain, reduce tension in muscles, improve circulation and promote a deep state of relaxation. It is often done by massage therapists and other bodyworkers, but can also be learned as a technique to be done oneself.
Some acupressure points for pain relief:
- Joining the valley - The joining the valley acupressure point is popular for getting rid of headaches. It also helps relieve toothaches, neck pain, shoulder pain, arthritis, constipation and hangovers. This point is located in the fleshy area between the thumb and index finger, at the highest spot of the muscle when both the thumb and finger are brought close together.
- Pericardium - The Pericardium acupressure point is considered useful for getting rid of nausea and vomiting. It is located between the two large tendons on the inside of your wrist, about three finger-widths below the base of your palm.
Photo Courtesy: Edu will
- The third eye - The Third Eye acupressure point is good for calming your mind, improving memory, relieving stress, chronic fatigue, headaches, eye strain and insomnia. It also helps relieve sinus pain and congestion. This point is considered beneficial for spiritual and emotional imbalances as well. Close your eyes and locate the Third Eye pressure point on the knobby spot on the bridge of your nose between your eyebrows.
- Sea of tranquillity - Also known as Conception Vessel 17, the Sea of Tranquillity acupressure point helps restore a sense of calm and relieves anxiety, nervousness, depression, hysteria and other emotional imbalances. It also helps boost the immune system. It can be easily located in the centre of the breastbone, about four finger-widths up from the base of the bone.
- Leg three miles - The leg three miles acupressure point is commonly used to improve digestive disorders including indigestion, diarrhea, constipation, bloating, gas, abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting. Plus, it boosts the immune system, fights fatigue, strengthens the body and promotes general wellness. Bend your leg and place your fingers just below the knee cap, beginning with the index finger at the base of the knee cap. You will find the Leg Three Miles point at four finger-widths down from the base of the knee cap, where your little finger rests just to the outside of the shin bone.
- Commanding middle- This knee back acupressure point (B 54) is beneficial for reducing knee and back pain; stiffness in the back; arthritis in the knee, back and hips; and sciatica pain. Commanding Middle acupressure point is situated at the centre of the backside of the kneecap.